Let’s say you already started your new business and developed the website. The next step is, of course, choosing the right web hosting option. Before you go and pay for hosting services, you should get well-educated about all solutions since every each one of them will meet a different set of needs.
As you probably know, web hosting is where your site will be placed, but this term also refers to a company that provides services of renting servers and internet connectivity. Before buying your web hosting, make sure to read the text below since it can be very helpful. The information you’ll find there should be enough to make a good decision that meets all your needs.
Pick the right web hosting server
First of all, you should be aware that there are four kinds of hosting servers: Shared, Virtual Private Server (VPS), Dedicated, and Cloud hosting. Every each one of them will do the same basic operation: it will store your website and make possible for your users to access it. On the other hand, these servers have different features when it comes to the amount of storage capacity, server speed, control, reliability, and technical knowledge requirement.
If you choose this option, you should know that your website will share space with many others since all of them will be on the same server. Keep in mind that all websites placed there will also share the same server resources, such as CPU and RAM. This solution is the cheapest you can get, and it is the perfect choice for websites with moderate traffic. This is the entry-level option, so you won’t need much technical knowledge to use it properly.
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting
Going with VPS means you will store your website on a big server which is divided into smaller partitions. Every website gets one of those server parts and looks like it’s hosted on their own dedicated server. The main advantage of this option is a possibility to access your virtual space, which is impossible if you go with shared hosting. Another perk is safer hosting environment. VPS can be the right option for you if you want greater control over the server, but don’t want to put in extra cash and get a dedicated server.
Dedicated Server Hosting
This type of hosting will provide you with the maximum control over the server where your website is placed. The main characteristic of dedicated server hosting is that you get to rent the entire server for your needs. This means that your website will be the only thing stored there. Since this option gives you a lot of freedom and control, you should be aware that it can be very pricey.
If your website has high traffic and high traffic spikes, Cloud hosting is your best pick. To understand the way cloud works, it is important to learn that this is essentially a group of servers which operate together to host a lot of different websites. This means that a great number of computers work together and handle high traffic levels for every given site. Unfortunately, by choosing cloud to host your website, you should be aware it doesn’t offer root access and can come at higher cost.
What to ask potential web hosting provider?
It is important to get informed about the average monthly uptime. The more you get, the better. Web hosting company guarantees this service, and it is good to know that cloud technology offers 100% uptime.
– Ask about the expenses since you’ll need to know if your budget can cover it for a longer period of time.
– Get information about the physical location of their servers. The experts from Web Design Company Sydney recommend getting the local servers since they will provide users with faster loading of your website.
– Ask about their customer/technical support. Better companies offer live chat so it is good to know if that’s an option.
– You should know if the web hosting company offers free set-up assistance. This will save you a lot of time if you choose to migrate the website, while your knowledge about servers and hosting is modest.
– Get informed about all terms and costs when it comes to renewal. As a first-time customer, you’ll probably get the rate that is discounted, so make sure you know the full price which will apply once the subscription period is over.
– In case you need to switch to another type of web hosting, it is important to know what are the options. Make sure to ask about their server upgrade protocols, when and how they will be done.
– Ask about the company’s policy in case you want to change the configuration during the current contract. There might be some penalties applied.
– Keep in mind that all unlimited hosting plans have limitations, and you should learn what they are.
– Ask for a discount coupon or a 30-day trial. It is very important to test the service you’re paying for, and this free trial can be a perfect chance.
As you can see, there are a lot of things to consider before buying a hosting for your website. Go step by step and think about all available options. The best way to find the server option that meets all your needs is to read everything you can about hosting technology and services. Once you are well-informed, you can start negotiating with web hosting companies and launching your website.
*Cover image by Agon Mustafa.
AUTHOR: LENA HEMSWORTH
Lena is Sydney based blogger who enjoys surfing the depths of the internet almost as much as kitesurfing. She spent a better part of her life working as an expert in web marketing, and now she is starting a new career as a freelancer.